The Karate Kid (1984) is a very inspirational movie from the 80’s that tells the story of a bullied teenage boy (Daniel LaRusso) and how he managed to rise above his teenage problems, with the help of a karate master named Kesuke Miyagi (Mr. Miyagi).
The movie is full of inspirational lessons, not only for karate, but for life as well. Later it became a classic trilogy with 2 more movies. There was one last movie, without Daniel, but with a girl being also taught by the one and only, Mr. Miyagi.
The fictional character karate master was played by the late Pat Morita, and was one of the reasons behind the great success of the “Karate Kids”. Morita’s acting was outstanding and his character was one of a kind.
Mr. Miyagi begins to appear has a simple maintenance man that fix things for people. But as the movie progresses we get exposed to his wisdom and knowledge, we realize he is much more than just a “maintenance guy”.
The simple, humble and focused ways of Mr. Miyagi collide with the rebellious and curious ways of teenager Daniel. We get to see and learn a lot more than just karate, as Mr. Miyagi delivers life lessons: in every challenge he puts Daniel to the test, and, in the philosophy he delivers to his apprentice.
We’ve decide to focus on the wisdom behind the master, and analyze the words of Mr. Miyagi most of them, of course, directed to his discipline Daniel. We bring to you the most inspirational quotes from Mr. Miyagi:
Mr. Miyagi Inspirational Quotes For Wisdom
1. “It’s ok to lose to opponent. It’s never okay to lose to fear” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Give your best when you play, you might lose but at least you did your best and that’s what matters. When you lose to negative thoughts like fear, you aren’t able to give your best, so you already lost before even playing.
2. “You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: What matters is the content and how deep you know it, not how many things you know.
3. “Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home. Understand?” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Balance is a double meaning word, you need balance to stand up and not fall, but you need balance in your life areas, or else your life will become unstable.
4. “First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature rule Daniel son, not mine” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Don’t rush things, don’t try to learn everything once, don’t try to go to the next level, when you haven’t mastered the level you are in. You need to learn the basics so you can get to the more difficult aspects.
Mr. Miyagi Inspirational Quotes For Wisdom: “Never put passion in front of principle, even if you win, you’ll lose”
5. “Never put passion in front of principle, even if you win, you’ll lose” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Your feelings can betray you, it’s sad but true. Elaborate your principles when you are calm and focused. When pressure times arrive you know what to do, and you don’t have to give in to momentarily feelings, that can destroy what you have worked so hard for.
6. “Only root karate come from Miyagi. Just like bonsai choose own way grow because root strong you choose own way do karate same reason.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: You are the only possible version of you don’t copy others, you have to give value to your roots, because they will be the foundations of what you can become. So strong roots, and strong foundations, equal a stronger and better you in the future if you make use of them.
7. “Either you karate do “yes” or karate do “no.” You karate do “guess so,” (get squished) just like grape.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: If you ‘re going to do it, do it to the fullest or don’t do it at all. Put full effort on everything you do.
8. “To make honey, young bee need young flower, not old prune.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: This is great wordplay, a old prune is a dried plum but it can also be an unpleasant person. If you want to become better surround yourself with people and tools that will make you better not otherwise.
9. “Just remember, license never replace eye, ear, and brain.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Daniel just got his driving license and Mr. Miyagi gives this advice. Rely on your instincts and skills not on a license when you drive, that can be apply to any type of license or degree.
Mr. Miyagi Inspirational Quotes For Wisdom: “No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.”
10. “No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: It’s on the teacher to deliver and guide his students to become better, before criticize any student we must no forget that. But it’s essential that the student does what the teacher tells him to do.
11. “Here are the 2 Rules of Miyagi-Ryu Karate. Rule Number 1: ‘Karate for defense only.’ Rule Number 2: ‘First learn rule number 1.’” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Pay attention to the rules, if they exist it’s because someone wise and experienced lived something before you did, and wrote them. Learning the rules it’s not the same thing as reading them, it takes time and dedication.
12. “We make sacred pact. I promise teach karate to you, you promise learn. I say, you do, no questions.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Again the master/apprentice relationship and it’s necessary discipline. Discipline you can apply to any business deal or pact you make, honor your agreements and make sure people understand that you’re serious about it too.
13. “Never trust spiritual leader who cannot dance.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: A funny quote with a great leadership lesson inside. Leaders must be versatile and lead by example, they must know how to lead, how to correct people, but also have fun with it.
14. “If come from inside you, always right one.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Your inner gut knows what’s best for you, trust your instincts.
Mr. Miyagi Inspirational Quotes For Wisdom: “Lesson not just karate only. Lesson for whole life. Whole life have a balance. Everything be better.”
15. “Lesson not just karate only. Lesson for whole life. Whole life have a balance. Everything be better.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: This quote completes the other reference to balance and it’s double meaning. Here we highlight the fact that lessons learned in sports can be a valuable lesson for everything in life.
16. “Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later…get squish just like grape” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Chose your side, if you don’t stand for something you’ll fall for anything,
17. “Daniel-San, lie become truth only if person wanna believe it.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Mr. Miyagi answers a question about if he’s bothered by an ongoing lie about him in his hometown.
If you know the truth there is nothing to worry about, although people will gossip and manipulate the truth, try to remain aside of this with a simple test.
18. “Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: This is an historic movie quote, the background of it is, Daniel asked if Mr. Miyagi could teach him Karate, Mr. Miyagi agreed. But the first lessons are nothing like a Karate class, Daniel has to perform some domestic tasks like painting a fence, sanding the floor or waxing cars, not knowing these tasks will give them some necessary skills for Karate moves, he goes desperate. How Mr. Miyagi reacts to this? By repeating what Daniel has to do….
What’s the inspiration behind it? Well, do the hard work the master tells you to do, although you aren’t seeing what benefits will come from there. In the future you will see, but only if you don’t stop and keep on working. No questions, just trust and do it.
19. “If karate used defend honor, defend life, karate mean something. If karate used defend plastic metal trophy, karate no mean nothing.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Is there a higher purpose in your daily actions? What kind of purpose are you chasing? Having a higher purpose will give you unstoppable energy in the pursuit of your goals.
Mr. Miyagi Inspirational Quotes For Wisdom: “Man who catch fly with chopstick, accomplish anything.”
20. “Man who catch fly with chopstick, accomplish anything.” – Mr. Miyagi
Quote significance: Again the funny side, but also wise, Mr. Miyagi highlights the meaning behind a difficult skill, that requires a mix of patience, focus and quickness. Qualities required to accomplish anything.